York’s latest home game can only be described as frustrating.  They hosted Southend Futsal Club, who were still looking for their first point in a very difficult season.

From the kick off, Southend sat in and tried to hit York on the break.  York dominated the early minutes but couldn’t create any clear openings. On 2 minutes a well worked move down the Southend left saw them take a surprise lead.  Within a minute York had equalised.  Daniel Pedras easily beat his man on the right and fired his shot into the roof of the net.

On 6 minutes York took the lead. A quick kick in between Matt Overton and Fabinho Almeida saw Matt Overton’s long range left foot shot nestled in the bottom corner of the Southend net. On 10 minutes Southend were level. A patient build-up saw a long ball beat the York defence and the Southend forward scrambled the ball over the line.

For the next 5 minutes York created chances for Robbie Bettson, Michael Bulmer and Daniel Pedras, the latter hitting the bar from close range.  On 13 minutes York again took the lead, good defensive work by Michael Bulmer saw him break up a Southend attack.  A quick ball from Matt Overton put Robbie Bettson through.  A quick one two with Michael Bulmer saw Robbie Bettson score from close range.

On 16 minutes Southend equalised again.  A poor pass from Fabinho Almeida, was intercepted by Southend and the cross was finished smartly.  Michel Martins in the York goal must have been wondering what was going on, he had conceded 3 goals whilst mostly watching the first half.  The last 5 minutes of the half saw York pile on the pressure, but to no avail.

Half-time: York Futsal 3 – Southend Futsal 3.

York started the second half with lots of patient play but no end product to show for their hard work. On 22 minutes a great run and long range shot by Roly Donoso forced a good save from the Southend goalkeeper.

On 26 minutes a smart turn from Daniel Pedras saw him shoot straight at the keeper.  A minute later a fast break from York saw Daniel Pedras feed Tom Blackburn down the York left, his low cross was met sweetly by Daniel Pedras, but he missed the target from just in front.

York were well on top now and chances came and went for Martin Sowerby, Fabinho Almeida and Tom Blackburn.  The Southend goalkeeper was having a fine game and when York did manage to beat him, Daniel Pedras’ shot was cleared off the line by the Southend defender.

York were racking up the chances, Tom Blackburn should have scored when a rebound came to him in front of the goal.  On 33 minutes Robbie Bettson’s long range shot struck the bottom of the post. York were in total control, with the odd break from Southend keeping Martin Michaels on his toes.

In the last-minute York were awarded a freekick after a handball.  Daniel Pedras lined up looking like he was about to shoot, but his disguised pass found Matt Overton who somehow manged to strike the post from a metre out.  That pretty much summed up York’s day, plenty of chances created but they just couldn’t put the game to bed.

Full-time: York Futsal 3 – Southend Futsal 3.

In conversation afterward, Coach Junior Roberti said, ‘It was one of those games we tried everything to score but it just wasn’t our day.  To make matter worse we gave Southend three easy goals. As a team we are giving away far too many easy goals, and this is a problem we must address.  We have to change it and start to win these games, the fantastic supporters we have deserve that much.’

Did you see the match day programme? You can read it online by clicking here. Would you like your very own copy emailed to you? Please contact us and we will happily email you a copy.

If you missed the game, or fancy having another view, you can watch the complete match by clicking here.

Please click on the individual photos to see larger versions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.